PersonJunior professor Dr. rer. pol.
Building: Sammelbau der Fakultäten 1+8
Room: 004 / 005
- Phone: +49 241 80 93367
Maria Movsessian is Professor of Energy Management in Developing Countries at RWTH Aachen University since August 2022. She completed her PhD in sustainable energy planning at the European University of Flensburg as a scholarship holder of the Reiner Lemoine Foundation. After her PhD, she worked as a research associate in the Policy and Innovation Group at the University of Edinburgh on techno-economic and socio-ecological analyses of emerging offshore renewable energy technologies. Before joining RWTH, she was coordinator of the Master's program in Energy and Environmental Management in Developing Countries at the European University of Flensburg.
Her research focuses on 100% renewable energy systems, energy justice and energy democracy. She is particularly interested in exploring potential synergies between energy sectors using a Smart Energy Systems approach to facilitate an equitable energy transition and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in the Global South.
- System integration and simulation
- 100% renewable energy systems
- Techno-economic energy system analysis
- Energy justice and democracy
- Socio-technical energy transition in developing countries
- Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M., Pennock, S., Bloise-Thomaz, T., Jeffrey, H., & Dickson, M. J. (2022). Beyond LCOE: A multi-criteria evaluation framework for offshore renewable energy projects. In Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 161, 112307.
- Pennock, S., Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M., Bloise-Thomaz, T., Jeffrey, H., & Dickson, M. J. (2022). Life cycle assessment of a point-absorber wave energy array. In Renewable Energy, 190, 1078-1088.
- Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M. (2021). Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development: Reviewing the Nicaraguan Energy Transition, Its Challenges and Opportunities. Shaker Verlag.
- OES (2020), Ocean Energy in Islands and Remote Coastal Areas: Opportunities and Challenges. IEA Technology Collaboration Programme for Ocean Energy Systems, www.ocean-energy-systems.org
- Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M. (2020). Of renewable energy, energy democracy, and sustainable development: A roadmap to accelerate the energy transition in developing countries. In Energy Research & Social Science, 70, 101716.
- Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M. (2019). Decarbonizing the transport sector: The Promethean responsibility of Nicaragua. In Journal of E nvironmental M anagement, 245, 311-321.
- Vanegas-Cantarero, M. M. (2018). Reviewing the Nicaraguan transition to a renewable energy system: Why is “business-as-usual” no longer an option?. In Energy Policy, 120, 580-592.