KIC EIT RawMaterials
The Knowledge and Innovation Community (KIC) EIT RawMaterials, initiated by the EIT (European Institute of Innovation and Technology) and funded by the European Commission, is the largest and strongest consortium in the raw materials sector worldwide. Its vision is a European Union where raw materials are a strategic strength. Its mission is to boost competitiveness and growth of partners of the European raw materials sector in the knowledge triangle of education, research and industry.
Since 2015 the RWTH Aachen University is the core partner of the KIC EIT RawMaterials and is represented by the following institutes: AMR; IME; IAR; IMA/ZLW & IfU as well as the Chair of Management Accounting and the Chair of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The team deals particularly with six Knowledge and Innovation topics, which guide the interactions between the various actors across the whole value chain:
- Exploration and raw materials resource assessment;
- Mining in challenging environmental conditions;
- Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes;
- Recycling and material chain optimization for End-of-Life products;
- Substitution of critical and toxic materials within products for optimized performance;
- Design of products and services for the circular economy.